Creamy Swiss Steak
"When I was working, I'd put this Swiss steak in the slow cooker before I left for the day," recalls Gloria Carpenter of Bancroft, Michigan. A creamy mushroom sauce made with canned soup nicely flavors the tender round steak. "It's delicious and so simple to make."
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef round steak, cut into serving-size portions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- Hot cooked noodles
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and
- pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter on both sides. Transfer to a
- 3-qt. slow cooker; top with onion. Combine soup and water; pour over
- onion. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Serve with noodles. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without noodles) equals 243 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.