Creamy Swiss Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes (2-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the potatoes, milk, salt, garlic, pepper, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Discard Rosemary sprig and bay leaf.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; gently stir in cheese.
- 3. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potato mixture.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and crumbs are golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 190 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1/2 fat.