Creamy Swiss Onion Soup
It was a cool spring day when I came up with this sweet and creamy variation of traditional baked French onion soup. I top individual bowls with toasty buttered croutons and a sprinkling of Swiss cheese, then pop them under the broiler. The rich results are delightful!
- I. MacKay Starr, North Saanich, British Columbia
4 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cubed day-old bread
- 3 large onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh minced chives or parsley
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter; toss with bread cubes. Place on a
- lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes; turn
- and bake 7 minutes longer or until toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onions in remaining butter
- until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Stir in water and bouillon;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; gradually stir into
- onion mixture. Stir in remaining milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 2
- minutes, stirring until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in 3/4
- cup Swiss cheese and pepper.
- Ladle into four ovenproof bowls; sprinkle with reserved croutons and
- remaining cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted