I tasted this delicious soup in a restaurant, and when I couldn't persuade the chef to share the recipe. I began to experiment on my own. Finally, I came up with this blend, which is very close to what I'd tasted. The secret ingredient, I think, is sweet potatoes! —Audrey Nemeth, Mount Vernon, Maine
Featured In: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a stockpot, saute onion in butter until transparent but not browned. Add the sweet potatoes, zucchini and broccoli; saute lightly for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in broth; simmer for a few minutes. Add potatoes and seasonings; cook another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in cream and heat through. Yield: 12-16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Vegetable Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1993, p27
Reviews for Creamy Sweet Potato and Veggie Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2011
"I love this easy tasty soup! I've made it three times already and my husband can't get enough of it. Thanks for sharing!!"