Creamy Sweet Onions
Well coated with a tangy sour cream and celery seed dressing, these sweet-sour onions can sure dress up a juicy burger. My sister likes to serve them as a side salad when our family gets together in summer up at the lakes.
-Ethel Lowey, Fort Frances, Ontario
32 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 5 large white onions, thinly sliced
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onions in a large bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan,
- combine the sugar, vinegar, water and salt. Bring to a boil; pour
- over onions. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain onions, discarding liquid. In a large bowl, combine the sour
- cream, mayonnaise, celery seed, salt and pepper. Add onions; toss
- to coat. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 89 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 307 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.