Creamy Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. meatballs. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 11-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and dill; simmer for 1 minute. Place meatballs in a serving dish; pour gravy over top. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 494 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Swedish Meatballs
"This is an excellent, easy recipe. The meatballs are very flavorful and the gravy is to die for. I double the gravy, as we love plenty of it over our meatballs and noodles. I fix the Herbed Egg Noodles which totally compliments the flavors of the meatballs. This dish is perfect for a nice dinner and would be perfect for guests too."
"The meatballs themselves were delicious. I didn't have the beef broth that was called for, so I used water and dry onion soup mix instead. I also used evaporated milk instead of the heavy cream (using what I had on hand). Even with the substitutions, my family and I all enjoyed this meal."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.