Creamy Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. meatballs. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 11-12 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cream and dill; simmer for 1 minute. Place meatballs in a serving dish; pour gravy over top. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 494 calories, 36g fat (18g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 704mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein .
Reviews for Creamy Swedish Meatballs
"This is an excellent, easy recipe. The meatballs are very flavorful and the gravy is to die for. I double the gravy, as we love plenty of it over our meatballs and noodles. I fix the Herbed Egg Noodles which totally compliments the flavors of the meatballs. This dish is perfect for a nice dinner and would be perfect for guests too."
"The meatballs themselves were delicious. I didn't have the beef broth that was called for, so I used water and dry onion soup mix instead. I also used evaporated milk instead of the heavy cream (using what I had on hand). Even with the substitutions, my family and I all enjoyed this meal."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.