Creamy Squash Soup
Gayle Lewis, field editor from Yucaipa, California, simmers a smooth full-flavored soup featuring whatever winter squash is available. "Serve with rolls, fruit and cheese," she suggests.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 bacon strips
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp; crumble
- and set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion and
- garlic in dripping until tender.
- In a blender or food processor, puree squash, flour, 1/3 cup milk and
- onion mixture; add to pan. Add the broth, curry powder, salt,
- pepper, nutmeg and remaining milk; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for 2 minutes. Top servings with a dollop of sour cream if
- desired. Sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6-8 servings.