Creamy Spring Soup
“At the end of a tiring cold day, I wanted something quick and warm,” recalls Dora Handy of Alliance, Ohio. “I whipped up this filling soup in a flash.”
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 baby carrots, julienned
- 1/2 celery rib, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Dash garlic powder
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup fresh baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender. Stir in the macaroni, milk and spinach; heat
- through. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 207 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 677 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 whole milk.