Creamy Split Pea Soup
"I love this soup because it simply simmers by itself on the stovetop," says Tracy Fay of Redmond, Oregon. "People are surprised to hear that it has only 1 gram of fat per serving because the texture is so creamy."
10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 9 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and celery
- until tender. Stir in the water, peas, sweet potatoes, bay leaf,
- salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 70-80 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender,
- puree soup in batches. Return to the pan; heat through. Yield: 10
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/3 cups equals 191 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 375 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.