Creamy Spinach with Bacon Recipe
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a small skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Reduce heat; stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bacon mixture. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 3 servings.
1 cup: 417 calories, 35g fat (19g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Spinach with Bacon
"Oh, yes... I believe this is a recipe I've been looking for... For years as a matter of fact... The only change I made was to add French fried onions to the top and brown for a few minutes in the oven... Even family that thought they didn't like spinach, loved it!!!"