This spinach side dish goes well with beef, ham or poultry. Our family enjoys it for any special dinner.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; stir in the spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bacon mixture. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Spinach in Country October/November 2004, p51
Reviews for Creamy Spinach with Bacon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review