- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese, divided
- Line a baking sheet with foil; coat well with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine pecans and honey; spread over prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, combine the sugar, oil and vinegar; add onion. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion begins to caramelize.
- In a saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. Remove pecans from the oven; set aside and keep warm. Add the spinach, 1/4 cup broth, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to the onion mixture; cook 5 minutes longer. drain pasta; add onion mixture and toss.
- In the same skillet, combine 2/3 cup blue cheese and remaining broth. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Pour over pasta; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with pecans and remaining blue cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Spinach Pasta in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p45
Reviews for Creamy Spinach Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2010
I can't believe this recipe has never been rated. It is excellant. There are several steps that need to be done to pull it together but well worth the effort. I have lost count of how many times I have made this recipe. Yum!
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >