Our Test Kitchen tossed tender tube pasta with fresh spinach, onion, blue cheese and chicken broth to create this aromatic entree. A sprinkling of toasted honey pecans tops it all with a touch of sweetness.
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese, divided
- Line a baking sheet with foil; coat well with cooking spray. In a bowl, combine pecans and honey; spread over prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, combine the sugar, oil and vinegar; add onion. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion begins to caramelize.
- In a saucepan, cook pasta according to package directions. Remove pecans from the oven; set aside and keep warm. Add the spinach, 1/4 cup broth, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to the onion mixture; cook 5 minutes longer. drain pasta; add onion mixture and toss.
- In the same skillet, combine 2/3 cup blue cheese and remaining broth. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Pour over pasta; toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with pecans and remaining blue cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Spinach Pasta in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p45
Reviews for Creamy Spinach Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 15, 2010
"I can't believe this recipe has never been rated. It is excellant. There are several steps that need to be done to pull it together but well worth the effort. I have lost count of how many times I have made this recipe. Yum!"