Creamy Spinach Chicken Dinner Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir chicken and onion in oil for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- 2. Stir in soup and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cheese and pepper; cook for 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and cheese is melted.
- 3. Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cup: 675 calories, 41g fat (22g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 945mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 44g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Spinach Chicken Dinner
"Very good recipe for a quick, weeknight meal. I followed the directions exactly except for using Cream of Celery soup instead of Cream of Mushroom. It was very rich, and I think I will substitute half-and-half for the whipping cream next time."
"Wondering if I could use 2 (10 ounce each) pkgs. frozen chopped spinach (well drained) instead of fresh. Thank you for your reply!"
"This is a delicious meal. The first time I made it I followed recipe exactly and loved it this time I didn't have cream of mushroom soup so I used cream of celery and I like it a lot better with that.. It is extra yummy.... OH actually I didn't follow it exactly the first time I used1% milk instead of heaving whipping cream and I used that this time too... Don't want any extra calories and the milk was just fine to make it yummy!"
"This was delicious! I added a clove of fresh garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Will definitely make again!"
"it was realy good but we cut down on the sp"
"Loved it! My whole family liked it, but we eat a lot of meals with spinach. I used 2% milk to cut down on calories."
"Considering my family does not eat spinach, onions or cream of mushroom soup, this was an easy dish. I used cream of celery, left out the spinach and onion and it was still very tasty. Added a bit of milk to thin the sauce and used 1 1/2 cup mozzie cheese."
"I even added steamed asparagus and sauted mushroom. i also added 2 cloves of garlic with the onion for more flavor."
"A family favorite!"
"This was a great recipe! I used rotisserie ckn and added a bag of sliced mushroom. It was very tasty :)"
"My family loved it. I made it even faster using leftover rotisserie chicken. The sauce was too thick- a little milk did the trick!"
"This meal was amazing! Everyone had seconds, including my 7 year old who hates spinach! I brought some to work and now everyone has the recipe!"
"This was awesome! My whole family devoured it! Even my super picky three year old. I only used six cups of spinach instead of 10, but I thought it was just right. My husband said it was restaurant quality dinner."
"You could probably use half and half in place of the heavy cream. I haven't tried it, just a suggestion."
"Is there a substitute for whipping cream to bring down the calories?"
"Its really good, but I didn't use that much spinach. I just used one 9 oz pkg in stead, fresh, chopped"
"do you really need 10 cups of chopped fresh spinach, could that be a typo"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.