Creamy Spinach & Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash 2 cups potatoes; set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in oil until tender. Whisk the flour, bouillon granules and broth until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Stir in mashed potatoes. Add spinach, salt, pepper and remaining potatoes; cook just until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup: 224 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Spinach & Potato Soup
"My Husband liked this soup but, I had to thin it a little I think I should have cut back on the 1/2cup flour."
"Used The Flavor Enhancers InsteadOfBouillon. My New Favorite soup."
"It tasted very good but I would cut back on the flour as it was to thick."