- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Mash potatoes with 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, onion salt, garlic powder and pepper until smooth.
- Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; drizzle over the top. Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Or bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.
- To use frozen potatoes: Thaw in the refrigerator. Bake as directed. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
"This was my contribution to a family Christmas dinner. I cooked the potatoes the night before & baked them just before setting out for the host house. I sprinkled bacon bits & shredded cheddar cheese on top for color. It made a welcome alternative to the usual mashed potatoes. I froze the leftovers as single servings to use later with other meals. Very easy to do & definitely a keeper recipe."
"These are perfect as is - no adjustments needed. The finished potatoes fit perfectly in my 2.75 quart pyrex baking dish, so it makes about 11 cups. I haven't tried freezing them. I make them a day or two in advance & then reheat them in my crock pot buffet server, which frees up my oven for the turkey or ham."
"These were amazing. I used garlic salt and broiled them for a few minutes on low right before serving."