Creamy Soft Caramels
Rich, creamy, smooth, soft...those are just a few reasons to love these old-fashioned caramels. Purchased caramels just can't compare.—Sharon Struthers, Belgrade, Minnesota
81 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon
- butter and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, salt
- and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Stir in corn syrup; return to a boil. Remove from the
- heat; slowly stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads
- 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan. Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; cut
- into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper. Yield: 2-1/2
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 70 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.