Creamy Soft Caramels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in corn syrup; return to a boil. Remove from the heat; slowly stir in milk.
- 2. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
1 piece equals 70 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.