- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the sugars, salt and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir in corn syrup; return to a boil. Remove from the heat; slowly stir in milk.
- Cook and stir over medium-low heat until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; cut into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Soft Caramels
"Love these caramels. They are sticky when trying to individually wrap and found they do better chilled."
"Great taste and fairly easy, must use an accurate candy thermometer or you might end up with caramel ice cream topping."