This is a family favorite that's also popular with friends. It's a pretty presentation, perfect as a side dish. The basil and cool creamy dressing make the dish tasty and refreshing.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, divided
- Lettuce leaves
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, cream and half of the basil. Cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, arrange lettuce, tomatoes and onions on individual salad plates. Drizzle dressing over. Sprinkle with remaining basil. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Sliced Tomatoes in Taste of Home August/September 1993, p27
Reviews for Creamy Sliced Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 5, 2009
"Simple and terrific! I used a blender for the dressing ingredients, which can be done ahead to save time and fuss. Be sure to use FRESH basil, though, it makes all the difference. Great recipe for a summer evening's dinner on the porch."