Creamy Seafood Enchiladas Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 pound small shrimp, cooked, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cooked or canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro flakes
- 12 flour tortillas (7 inches)
- Additional salsa
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and soup until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream, salsa and salt; set aside.
- Place cottage cheese in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; add the shrimp, crab, Monterey Jack cheese, chilies and cilantro.
- Spread 3/4 cup sauce in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place about 1/3 cup seafood mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down over sauce. Top with the remaining sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Serve with additional salsa. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Creamy Seafood Enchiladas
Sort By :
Really good! I substituted bay scallops for half of the shrimp, and used fresh cilantro because I find that the dried does not have much flavor. I served Mexican rice and refried beans alongside. Next time I will put more salsa into the sauce mixture, and might substitute roasted fresh jalapenos for the canned. This makes a lot. We're going to be having it for lunch for at least a couple of days.
My family rates recipes from 1 to 5 but reserves a 5+ rating for those dishes they LOVE. This one got a 5+!
Delicious and easy. I have made this several times. I also make this without the seafood and with extra shredded cheese for my vegetarian son... Per another reviewer's suggestion, the last two times I have made this with ricotta rather than cottage cheese, which makes this dish even easier to prepare, no blender required... In future I think I will double the amount of sauce I make for this dish...
This was excellent. Made it while in Maine on a family vacation. I used Maine Crab & Maine Shrimp. I put cilantro in the sauce, but not in the filling. I also used ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese... much creamier and smoother than blended cottage cheese. There were 8 of us, so I doubled the recipe, used burrito size tortillas and ended up with 14 enchiladas. Everyone loved it!!