- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a greased 1-qt. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes. Add the onion and half of the sauce. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Scalloped Potatoes
"Easy to make and came out great."
"Easy and delicious!"
"This is excellent! If I'm in a time crunch, I add about 1 teaspoon minced, dehydrated onion to the sauce instead of chopping fresh (then I only have to layer the potatoes and sauce). I find the time listed in the recipe to be a bit off. After 35-40 minutes, the sauce is still a bit on the soupy side, and the potatoes not quite done, so I remove the cover and bake them about 15 minutes more. Just the little extra time makes the sauce creamy instead of soupy, and the potatoes tender."