- 8 to 10 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. roasting pan. Add onions, peppers and sausage; toss gently. Combine oil, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over the eat and vegetables; toss well.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Add the cream; cover and bake 30-40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. Place on stovetop and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Sausage Stew
"Very simple to make. We enjoyed this although I had to cut in half!"
"The whole family loved it."
"It has become a recipe I use often! Love how easy it is to prepare and the flavors are fantastic!"
"We love this recipe! I use only 1 pound of lite sausage and I use fat-free half & half instead of heavy cream. I recently adapted the recipe to use the crockpot. Roasted the meat/veggies as usual, then transferred them to a crockpot. Cooked them a couple of hours on Low, then added the cream and cooked 1 hour longer on Low. Then I stirred the cornstarch mixture right into the crockpot and everything worked out well. (I did this because I wanted to be able to take the stew to a church potluck and have it be cooking during church.) I've been making this recipe for years and we always enjoy it."
"This is a recipe my family has enjoyed many times over the past 10 years or so. Delicious and one of our favorite fall meals."
"I am shocked this recipe won. After reading the reviews I thought I would try it. My family was so disappointed. I think the first review is missing some good recipes if this is a favorite. Sorry but not for me."
"This stew is so delicious. We got it from taste of home at least 10 years ago and never tire of it.. A little rich but oh so good."
"Very easy assembly and down home cooking feel on a cold winters day. I to cut recipe in half with excellent results."
"This is an incredibly good-tasting stew, although since there are only two of us, I cut it in half. Also, my husband likes things in smaller pieces, so I cut them up accordingly. I also use half heavy cream and half half-and half."