Creamy Sausage Stew Recipe
- 8 to 10 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. roasting pan. Add onions, peppers and sausage; toss gently. Combine oil, basil, salt and pepper. Pour over the eat and vegetables; toss well.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes; stir. Add the cream; cover and bake 30-40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water; stir into stew. Place on stovetop and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Sausage Stew(7)
Sort By :
It has become a recipe I use often! Love how easy it is to prepare and the flavors are fantastic!
We love this recipe! I use only 1 pound of lite sausage and I use fat-free half & half instead of heavy cream. I recently adapted the recipe to use the crockpot. Roasted the meat/veggies as usual, then transferred them to a crockpot. Cooked them a couple of hours on Low, then added the cream and cooked 1 hour longer on Low. Then I stirred the cornstarch mixture right into the crockpot and everything worked out well. (I did this because I wanted to be able to take the stew to a church potluck and have it be cooking during church.) I've been making this recipe for years and we always enjoy it.
This is a recipe my family has enjoyed many times over the past 10 years or so. Delicious and one of our favorite fall meals.
I am shocked this recipe won. After reading the reviews I thought I would try it. My family was so disappointed. I think the first review is missing some good recipes if this is a favorite. Sorry but not for me.
This stew is so delicious. We got it from taste of home at least 10 years ago and never tire of it.. A little rich but oh so good.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Sausage Dinner Recipes >
- Stew Recipes >