Creamy Sausage Risotto Recipe
I have fond memories of standing at the stove cooking this hearty Italian rice dish with my Nona. I’ve altered the recipe a bit to save on time, but it still delivers just as much home-cooked love.—Amanda Cable, Boxford, Massachusetts
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Set aside and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic and saffron in butter and oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Carefully stir in 1 cup warm broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add reserved sausage; heat through. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and cream. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
2/3 cup equals 266 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 685 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC