Creamy Rutabaga Soup Recipe
I attended a dinner party where this smooth, nutty soup was served as an appetizer in demitasse cups. No one guessed that rutabagas were the main ingredient.—Cappy Hall Rearick, St. Simons Island, Georgia
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups cubed peeled rutabagas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream and minced fresh chives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the rutabagas, rice, water and 2-1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-35 minutes or until rutabagas are tender.
- 2. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper and remaining broth; heat through (do not boil). Garnish servings with sour cream and chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without sour cream and chives) equals 169 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Rutabaga Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC