Creamy Rutabaga Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups cubed peeled rutabagas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream and minced fresh chives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the rutabagas, rice, water and 2-1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-35 minutes or until rutabagas are tender.
- 2. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper and remaining broth; heat through (do not boil). Garnish servings with sour cream and chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 169 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Creamy Rutabaga Soup
"Bland and pasty. Had to add liquid to keep from burning to bottom of pot."
"I made this for Thanksgiving thinking there would be plenty left over! Boy was I wrong! This was gobbled up in no time! Fantastic flavor and I don't like rutabagas!!!"
"This soup is amazing! Easily in my top 5 soups ever-the family loved it. I added 1/4 cup more water as the rutabaga and rice were cooking because I was afraid there wasn't enough liquid. I also used 1 can of 2% cream instead of the whole milk."