Creamy Rutabaga Soup Recipe
I attended a dinner party where this smooth, nutty soup was served as an appetizer in demitasse cups. No one guessed that rutabagas were the main ingredient.—Cappy Hall Rearick, St. Simons Island, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 55 min. Cook: 10 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups cubed peeled rutabagas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sour cream and minced fresh chives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the rutabagas, rice, water and 2-1/2 cups broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-35 minutes or until rutabagas are tender.
- 2. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in the milk, salt, pepper and remaining broth; heat through (do not boil). Garnish servings with sour cream and chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without sour cream and chives) equals 169 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC