- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 6 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional minced fresh thyme
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir onion in bacon drippings 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add celery root, parsnips, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in cream, 2 teaspoons thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg; heat through. Top servings with bacon and additional thyme. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Root Veggie Soup
"Absolutely delicious! I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe."
"This soup was good, had a sweeter flavor than I expected."
"This soup was delicious. I decided to add ham along with the bacon. The first time around that i made this, there were too many complaints about there not being enough meat. Great recipe."