Creamy Rhubarb Dessert Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-2/3 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add rhubarb; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, for crust, combine the flour, sugar and nuts in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Pour cooled filling over crust. In a bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in marshmallows. Spread over filling. In a bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over marshmallow topping. If desired, sprinkle with nuts. Cover and chill for several hours. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece: 459 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Rhubarb Dessert
"This rhubarb dessert is amazing! I have made this every single year, it is a highly requested recipe. My recipe uses graham wafer crumbs for the base, but either way it's terrific!"