This dessert is a longtime favorite of family and friends who eagerly await the rhubarb season. The subtle flavors of the pudding and whipped cream really soften the tart taste of the rhubarb!
Recommended: 55 of Our Favorite Berry Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-2/3 cups cold milk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Add rhubarb; cook and stir until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, for crust, combine the flour, sugar and nuts in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Pour cooled filling over crust. In a bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold in marshmallows. Spread over filling. In a bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes or until soft-set. Spread over marshmallow topping. If desired, sprinkle with nuts. Cover and chill for several hours. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Rhubarb Dessert in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p92
Reviews forCreamy Rhubarb Dessert
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 2, 2016
"This rhubarb dessert is amazing! I have made this every single year, it is a highly requested recipe. My recipe uses graham wafer crumbs for the base, but either way it's terrific!"