- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 pound sliced deli corned beef, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cream, corned beef, sauerkraut, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 cups.
Reviews for Creamy Reuben Soup
"I have used toh recipe for years almost exclusively for my family. Generally the recipes are tasty, easy to make, and rarely if ever fail to please. Unfortunately, this was not my experience making creamy Reuben soup. My husband is German and loves sauerkraut served any number of ways. Also, we both love a good Reuben sandwich and seek them out whenever we have the deli experience. We found this recipe to be very flat, flavorless, and unappealing. I tried the previous suggestions including adding large amounts of Thousand Island dressing, as well as some other spices to try to give this a kick. I can truly say it is the only time I have ever made a Taste of Home recipe that was a contest winner that failed. No matter what I added, nothing made this other than bland. I was so sure we would love it, I made a double recipe. Some mistakes you don't make twice! This is one of maybe 3 dishes in my lifetime that went directly down the disposal. I am glad that others enjoyed this. However it just was not a winner for us and will not be made again."
"This was actually super surprising... haha. I did make a couple of changes, added thousand island, sweet relish, and a tad of horseradish to the soup and added a bit more sauerkraut. Tasted just like a ruben, served it with a side of Rye toast :)"
"I didn't add the peppers, and I pureed the vegetables (because I know people that don't take kindly to onion or celery chunks) but this soup is great. Served with German rye. Reuben-esque as promised. Thank you!"
"Very good. Added a little more corned beef than the recipe calls for. I didn't have any rye croutons but will make some the next time I fix it. Thanks for the recipe."
"I was disappointed in this recipe. It sounded better than it tasted. I made it exactly as written."