I had a professor in college who loved Reuben sandwiches. When he got the flu, I came up with this creamy soup. He loved it! —Jay Davis, Knoxville, Tennessee
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 pound sliced deli corned beef, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cream, corned beef, sauerkraut, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Creamy Reuben Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p31
Reviews for Creamy Reuben Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review