- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/4 pound sliced deli corned beef, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the cream, corned beef, sauerkraut, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil). Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 5 cups.
Reviews for Creamy Reuben Soup
Sort By :
"Very good. Added a little more corned beef than the recipe calls for. I didn't have any rye croutons but will make some the next time I fix it. Thanks for the recipe."
"I was disappointed in this recipe. It sounded better than it tasted. I made it exactly as written."
"Made with half the butter and used fat free half and half, and it was great. Will make again!"
"Finallyl, a recipe the entire family loved (4)! This was a wonderful soup and the flavor was excellent. I expected it to taste different than it did, with the sauerkraut, etc., but it really good. Will definitely make this again! BTY, I doubled everything and there was only one small portion left. I cooked the onions, etc. in 4 Tbsp. butter and added the other 4 Tbsp. when I was ready for the flour."
"Sounds wonderful going to try it soon! I've made a version of the reuben where I mix the corned beef, sauerkraut and the thousand island dressing in the saucepan and heat all of it up, put it on a bun and a slice of swiss cheese. Easy and warming in the winter."