- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pears in juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the potatoes, red peppers and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat. Add pears; let cool.
- In a blender, cover and puree in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in cayenne and black pepper. Cook until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Red Pepper Soup in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p17
Reviews for Creamy Red Pepper Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2010
This is a fabulous recipe, and has become a Christmas tradition for our family. Bursting with goo wholesome flavor. The pears balance out the onion and garlic nicely.
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2009
Excellent soup. Made it several times and a winner each time.