Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
I love gardening and have a big pumpkin patch. A few years ago when our harvest was very plentiful, I experimented and came up with this recipe. My family just loves this soup.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes and pumpkin; cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 2. Puree half of the mixture at a time in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan. Add the milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; heat through.
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the sour cream and parsley. Spoon soup into bowls; top each with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 258 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC