Creamy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes and pumpkin; cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Puree half of the mixture at a time in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan. Add the milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream and parsley. Spoon soup into bowls; top each with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with bacon. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Pumpkin Soup(7)
Sort By :
For those of you that made it and said there was not much flavor, could you add garlic to boost it?
This is probably the best pumpkin soup I've had! Me and the boyfriend each had seconds. Also, we doubled the amount of bacon because we are bacon hounds. I wouldn't have thought to put sour cream in it, but it really adds to the soup.
The only thing I think I will change when I make it again is substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth, I think there is a little lingering chicken taste that doesn't seem to fit when the soup is primarily vegetarian so I think the vegetable broth would be a better fit.
A bit too thin, didn't add the bacon. Great ease, but next time I would add more potatoes or use cream instead of milk We prefer a thicker soup... Delicious flavors!
Wow! This was so much better than I thought it would be! Everybody loved it and has asked me to make it again!
Creamy but bland, might make a good sauce in a casserole, would probable turn into something else if I make again