Creamy Pumpkin Polenta Recipe
"Sometimes I like to hollow out a pumpkin and serve this creamy, hearty polenta inside it." The crunchy cookies create great texture and sweetness. —Debi George, Mansfield, Texas
- 5-1/3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, cubed
- Salted pumpkin seeds or pepitas, optional
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal and nutmeg. Cook and stir with a wooden spoon for 15-20 minutes or until polenta is thickened and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the pan. Stir in pumpkin and cream cheese until smooth. Sprinkle each serving with pumpkin seeds if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 191 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 453 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC