Creamy Potato Sticks
This homey potato side dish harks back to my ranch kitchen in Montana, where my husband and I raised four sons and a daughter. Hearty eaters, they always spooned up big servings of this casserole. Cutting the potatoes into sticks is a nice change. —Marie Hoyer, Hodgenville, Kentucky
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 5 to 6 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup chopped onion
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and salt; gradually whisk in milk
- until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove
- from the heat; whisk in soup and cheese until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 4-in. x 1/2-in. x 1/2-in. sticks; place in a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with onion. Top with
- cheese sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 6 servings.