Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart milk
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine potatoes, celery, onion, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly. Place half of the potato mixture in a blender; cover and puree. Repeat with remaining potato mixture; set aside.
- 2. In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Return potato puree to the pan and heat through. Garnish individual servings with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 208 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 912mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein
Reviews for Creamy Potato Soup
"This was very good. I made it as part of my St. Patrick's Day menu. I used a few extra potatoes to add thickness to the soup instead of the flour and it turned out just fine. A good recipe!"
"I make this recipe all the time. It is so yummy and pretty easy. I sometimes sub straight chicken broth for the bouillon and quart of water - depends on what I have on hand and what makes life easier. Also, have been known to sub half-and-half or heavy whipping cream for the milk. I serve it with a generous sprinkling of cheese and bacon bits. In my opinion, it's the bacon bits that really take the flavor over the top for goodness. Enjoy. This is a wonderful go-to recipe that is super quick."
"I made this soup on Dec 17, 2008 and it's very good. I'll be making this again."