Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
This is one of my favorite recipes that uses wholesome milk—an important product we produce on our dairy farm. It's rich and delicious...even the kids gobble it up!—Janis Plagerman, Ephrata, Washington
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8-10 servings
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 quart water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 quart milk
- Sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine potatoes, celery, onion, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly. Place half of the potato mixture in a blender; cover and puree. Repeat with remaining potato mixture; set aside.
- 2. In the same kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Return potato puree to the pan and heat through. Garnish individual servings with sour cream and cheese if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 208 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 912 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC