Creamy Potato and Cheese Soup
My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me shortly after my husband and I were married. A bowl of the hot and creamy soup is perfect on a cold winter day.Michelle Wollenburg, Beatrice, Nebraska
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup cubed process American cheese (Velveeta) or shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and carrot in butter until
- tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add soup,
- cheese, potatoes and seasoned salt; mix well. Cook and stir until
- cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings
- (3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 311 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 494 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.