- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup cubed process American cheese (Velveeta) or shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large potatoes, peeled, diced and cooked (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add soup, cheese, potatoes and seasoned salt; mix well. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Potato and Cheese Soup
"It felt like it needed some spice, but it was good. I would make it again."
"Excellent!!! The whole family loved it."
"Wow, my son made this and invited us over for dinne! Delicious, it tastes like there's cream in the soup and was surprised to find out my son used 2% milk not heavy cream. Definitely a keeper plus my son is a great cook, thanks to his many talents and Taste of Home! He also said the recipe was easy and he had all the ingredients at home. Yummy!!"
"delicious!- super easy and fast!"
"This has become a staple recipe in my house. Everyone loves it & there's never any leftovers!"
"Excellent flavor! Reminded me of times with my grandma. She makes some of the best potato soup."
"Very tasty recipe with a really good home cooked flavor. Although we did make a few changes: I used cream of chicken since there was no cream of mushroom in the house and we used a whole cup of Velveeta since the family loves cheese. Great soup."
"I love how creamy and full of flavor this delicious soup is... I'm definitely adding this one as a favorite!"
"great soup would make again -i tweeked it a little - i added more veggies 2 more cups of milk more flour --i didn't cook potatoes ahead of time and they were perfect- i added some ham, a little thyme and fresh garlic -instead of cream of mushroom i added cream of celery. It was outstanding."