- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 9 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 2 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and celery until tender. Stir in the water, peas, sweet potatoes, bay leaf, salt, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 70-80 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, puree soup in batches. Return to the pan; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Pea Soup
Sort By :
Very smooth and creamy without the calories and fat of cream or milk. I add 2 carrots because other split pea recipes I've liked took carrots. I didn't have the bay leaf but you can season this anyway you like. Very Good!!
Great tasting and very creamy..only change I made was to use some olive oil for cooking the onions.
This soup is sooooo good, and so easy. I put some bacon in, but is not necessary. Will fix it often. Beth
More Recipe Collections
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Pea Soup Recipes >