- 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cream cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Red food coloring
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place cream cheese in a bowl; let stand at room temperature to soften slightly. Stir in extract until blended. Tint mixture pink or red as desired. Gradually mix in half of the confectioners’ sugar.
- On a work surface, knead in remaining confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Divide mixture into three portions; roll each to 1/4-in. thickness. (Flour or additional confectioners' sugar is not necessary for rolling.)
- Cut candy with a 1-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Pastel Mints
Sort By :
"I am wondering if the test kitchen actually tried to make these mints. I attempted and after adding like two more cups of sugar than what was called for, I still had such a sticky mess that I threw the whole wasted batch away. I would love to try again if the recipe was corrected. The mess of dough tasted pretty good."
"Good! Better dipped in semi-sweet chocolate!"
"I used the recommended amount of powdered sugar and it worked just fine. I chilled the mixture slightly before rolling out, and I rolled it between two sheets of waxed paper. This kept it from sticking. I hope this helps! Also I enjoyed the peppermint flavor."
"Recipe is way off on the sugar, I needed much, much more - maybe double. They tasted OK but what a gooey sticky mess."
"They taste okay... different. A slightly strange texture... But they are pretty good. But WAY too much work. It's just not worth it. And the recipe is off. I had to use a LOT more than 3 cups of sugar total. It took me about an hour and a half to make this from start to finish. Just not worth all the trouble and mess."