Creamy Orange Flans Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1. In a small skillet, combine sugar and orange juice; cook over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until mixture is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Quickly pour into six ungreased 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups, tilting to coat bottom of dish. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2. For custard, in a small saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Remove from the heat. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar and salt. Stir half of the warm milk into egg mixture; return all to pan and mix well. Stir in orange peel and extract. Slowly pour into prepared ramekins.
- 3. Place ramekins in a baking pan. Fill pan with boiling water to a depth of 3/4 in. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until centers are just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove ramekins from water bath; cool for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 4. Carefully, run a knife around edge of dishes to loosen; invert each dish onto a rimmed serving dish. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 391 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 226 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 11 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.