Creamy Orange Caramels Recipe
Each Christmas I teach myself a new candy recipe. Last year I started with my caramel recipe and added a splash of orange extract for fun. This year I just might try buttered rum extract. —Shelly Bevington-Fisher, Hermiston, Oregon
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Line an 11-in. x 7-in. dish with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; boil gently, without stirring, for 4 minutes.
- 3. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 244°(firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in extracts. Immediately pour into prepared dish (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.
- 4. Using foil, lift out candy; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut caramel into 1-in. x 3/4-in. pieces. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds (80 pieces).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC