Creamy Orange Caramels
Each Christmas I teach myself a new candy recipe. Last year I started with my caramel recipe and added a splash of orange extract for fun. This year I just might try buttered rum extract. —Shelly Bevington-Fisher, Hermiston, Oregon
80 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.+ standing
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line an 11-in. x 7-in. dish with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and
- remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; boil gently, without
- stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until a
- candy thermometer reads 244°(firm-ball stage). Remove from the
- heat; stir in extracts. Immediately pour into prepared dish (do not
- scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.
- Using foil, lift out candy; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut
- caramel into 1-in. x 3/4-in. pieces. Wrap individually in waxed
- paper; twist ends. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds (80 pieces).
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white