Creamy Onion Spread Recipe
"My daughter came across this recipe a few years ago, and I have adapted it to our family's tastes," writes Janet Joecks of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin.
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- Additional sliced green onions
- Breadsticks and sweet red and yellow pepper strips
- In a small skillet, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 8 minutes or until onion begins to turn golden brown. Add the green onions, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and cream cheese until smooth. Stir in onion mixture. Garnish with additional green onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with breadsticks and peppers. Yield: about 2 cups.
Originally published as Creamy Onion Spread in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p45
Reviews for Creamy Onion Spread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Dip Recipes >
- Father's Day Appetizers >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Onion Dip >