Creamy Onion Soup Recipe
My husband works at a grain elevator and is outside in all kinds of weather. He appreciates having a big bowl of this soup waiting when he comes home.Naomi Giddis, Two Buttes, Colorado
- 1 pound yellow onions (about 3 medium), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Dash each pepper and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- In a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat, saute onions in butter. Add broth, pepper, thyme and salt if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add 1-2/3 cups milk. Stir flour into remaining milk until smooth; add to soup. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Creamy Onion Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1997, p41
Reviews for Creamy Onion Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review