Creamy Onion Gravy
You don't need to worry about having enough pan drippings from your turkey to make this gravy from our Test Kitchen. Prepare it anytime you serve mashed potatoes.
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
- In the same pan, melt remaining butter over medium-low heat. Combine
- the flour, salt, garlic powder and pepper; whisk into butter until
- smooth. Gradually add buttermilk and water. Bring to a boil; cook
- and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in onion. Yield:
- 1-1/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 99 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.