Creamy Onion Dip
Here, caramelized onions are teamed up with Gruyere cheese for a rich appetizer fit for a classic cocktail party.
20 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 cups finely chopped sweet onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Assorted crackers or breadsticks
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the onions, butter, wine, garlic and
- bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until onions are
- tender and golden brown.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in the Gruyere cheese, cream cheese and sour
- cream. Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until cheese is melted. Serve
- warm with crackers. Yield: 5 cups.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.