The idea of onions starring in a side dish never dawned on me until my mother-in-law shared this recipe and asked me to make it for a holiday dinner. It's been a staple ever since.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
- Grated Parmesan cheese and paprika
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Place celery in a small saucepan and cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat until tender; drain. In a greased 2-qt. baking dish, combine the onions, celery and pecans. Stir in the cream mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Onion Bake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p64