Creamy Old-Fashioned Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 12 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs
- 3 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vinegar and mustard. Cool without stirring to room temperature.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. cubes; place in a large kettle and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain; rinse in cold water and drain again.
- Set aside one hard-cooked egg for garnish; chop the remaining eggs. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, chopped eggs, celery and onion. Whisk the mayonnaise, pepper and remaining salt into cooled milk mixture. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with reserved egg. Yield: 22 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Old-Fashioned Potato Salad(3)
Sort By :
Had good taste and texture, but next time I would use less celery and onion. I personally don't care for a "crunchy" potato salad.
I made this for a group of deer hunters and it went over very well. I added dry ranch seasoning, parsley, dill, and additional pepper. I also used less potatoes for a creamier salad. Delicious!
Too much work.