Creamy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Creamy mashed potatoes get even better when topped with a savory trio of cheese, onions and bacon. Plus, these potatoes offer make-ahead appeal. —JoAnn Koerkenmeier, Damiansville, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 3 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and cubed
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
- 3. Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding cream cheese, sour cream and butter. Stir in milk and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese, green onions and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove potatoes from refrigerator and let stand while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 419 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 544 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC