Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
This is the ultimate mac-and-cheese. It's creamy, thick and very rich, and it holds the wonderful cheddar flavor. Once you taste it, you will be hooked. —Cindy Hartley, Chesapeake, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
- 3. Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 653 calories, 46 g fat (30 g saturated fat), 143 mg cholesterol, 1,141 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC