This is the ultimate mac-and-cheese. It's creamy, thick and very rich, and it holds the wonderful cheddar flavor. Once you taste it, you will be hooked. —Cindy Hartley, Chesapeake, Virginia
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in the sour cream, process cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; toss with cheddar cheese. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Stir in cream sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Macaroni and Cheese in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007, p44
Reviews for Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review